On occasion, you may see that certain merchants do not process your transactions. This may happen due to multiple reasons:
- Non-sufficient funds: Your available balance is lower than the amount you try to spend. This will result in transactions being denied.
- Incorrect CVC code or expiration date: Make sure you enter all card information correctly, as displayed on your Seller Card.
- When the transaction does not show up immediately: This does not necessarily mean that the transaction didn’t go through. Keep in mind that certain merchants (e.g. Amazon) may take a while to actually process and post your transactions.
Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions about your transactions being denied.
Gas stations, hotels, and car rentals
When you swipe your card at the pump, hotel, or rental car, the terminal checks to see if your card is valid and if you have enough money on your account to complete the purchase then places a hold on that amount until the transaction is settled. Since gas stations, hotels, and car rentals do not know what the final transaction amount will be, the hold or “pre-authorization charge” is usually much higher than the actual amount you will be charged. A typical pre-authorization charge at a gas pump, for example, is about $100. If your Seller Card has a balance less than the pre-authorization charge, your card will be declined.
When the transaction is later settled, the temporary hold on your funds is released and replaced with a charge for the actual amount of the transaction.
To avoid this issue at a gas station, visit the attendant booth and pre-pay for your gas. By letting the attendant know exactly how much to charge your Seller Card, you can avoid the excess holds placed on your available balance.
The Seller Card can currently not be set up for use in digital wallets and cannot be used for ApplePay and GooglePay.
Note that the following transactions types and merchant codes will be blocked on your Seller Card by VISA:
- 4829 - Wire Transfer Money Order
- 5966 - Outbound Telemarketing Merchnt
- 6051 - Non-fin Inst/fc/mo/tc
- 6211 - Securities Broker/dealers
- 7273 - Dating & Escort Services
- 7800 - Government-owned Lotteries
- 7801 - Government-licensed on-line Casinos (on-line Gambling)
- 7802 - Government-licensed Horse/dog Racing
You can find detailed definitions here.